23 March, 2018
News & Announcements
- Secretary of State Penny Mordaunt has provided an update to Parliament outlining the actions taken by DFID to strengthen safeguarding in the aid sector – gov.uk
- DFID and Charities Commission published a joint statement, signed by over 30 NGO and public sector bodies at the Safeguarding Summit – gov.uk
- 179 UK charities have sent Safeguarding Assurance returns to DFID – gov.uk
- Science minister, Sam Gyimah MP, announced the Space Industry Act, 8 satellite projects and commercial space opportunities – gov.uk
- The UK has signed the European X-Ray Free-Electron Laser (XFEL), joining the world-leading research programme to help develop medicines of the future – gov.uk
- BBSRC funded researchers have developed a new solution to harmful algal blooms, is responsible for killing millions of fish worldwide each year – BBSRC
- MRC, NIHR & UCL funded researchers have successfully carried out a new treatment derived from stem cells for people with wet age-related macular degeneration (AMD), with patients regaining sight – MRC
- NERC recently completed a review of its Earth observation portfolio of services and facilities – NERC
- Newton Fund & Met Office Aerosols and regional climate dynamics; Attribution of extreme events and human impacts; Land-Atmosphere Interactions and Processes; Predictability of Regional Climate; Regional Water Cycle – CSSP China. Deadline: 29 March.
- Newton Fund & Met Office Vertical Structure of weather over Southeast Asia.Deadline: 29 March.
- Newton Fund & BBSRC fund call in enhancing ruminant livestock productivity in Kenya. Deadline: 10 April.
- BBSRC follow-on funding call to support the translation of research funded by the Council into practical application, including commercialisation. Deadline: 11 April.
- East Africa Research Fund Call for Proposal for research on Vulnerability & Resilience in Somalia. Deadline 26 April.
Events & Reports
- Science and Technology Committee: 2nd Report – Brexit, science and innovation
- Chief Medical Officer annual report 2017: health impacts of all pollution – what do we know?
- Chatham House Redefining Partnership: the EU-Africa Relationship Beyond the Cotonou Partnership Agreement, in London on 26 March.
- Research with Development Impact
- EPSA Webinar Lessons Learned from the ESPA programme (2009-2018), online on 27 March.
- Communications 4 Development (C4D) Network UK Meet-Up on ‘External evaluation and review of media and communications for development: experiences and insights’ on 28 March in London.
- British Council Researcher Links Workshop Employing Information and Communication Technologies for Mountainous Rural Community Relief from Natural Disasters (ICT4AID ’18), in Chengdu, China between 27-29 August 2018. Call for participants deadline: 11 May.
Other News & Interesting Links
- Winners of ESRC’s ‘The Bigger Picture’ photographic competition announced – ESRC
- Listen: how diseases are named and the political, economic and social impact of disease names past and present, with Prof Peter Piot –BBC Radio 4
- Mapping techniques to ‘leave no one behind’ by providing unprecedented detail to aid efforts from vaccination to disaster relief – SciDevNet
- Nominations for Tech4Good Awards have now opened. Enter before 8 May – AbilityNet
- RRS Sir David Attenborough – An exciting new chapter for UK science – NERC
- How to survive climate change: a lesson from Hurricane Maria – Mosaic