19 January, 2018
Announcements and News
- UK Research and Innovation Chair announced as Sir John Kingman, who has been interim Chair since May 2016 – gov.uk
- Girls’ education to be central pillar of UK development, foreign and defence policy with the launch of the UK’s fourth national action plan on Women, Peace and Security – gov.uk
- Business and Energy Secretary Greg Clarkediscussed closer research and development ties with French ministers, across sectors including artificial intelligence, space and climate change – gov.uk
- Government Office for Science and Cabinet Office have published the Futures toolkit for policy-makers and analysts to help embed long-term strategic thinking within the policy process – gov.uk
- AHRC and EPSRC to fund 32 projects that will lead the way for future immersive experiences – AHRC
- Academies now operate streamlined Research and Innovation Talent Visa, to enable researchers of ‘Exceptional Talent’ or ‘Exceptional Promise’ in the fields of natural science, humanities and social science, engineering and the arts the opportunity to work in the UK – Royal Society
- MRC, Wellcome Trust & NIHR-funded research has shown how children can inherit a severe – potentially fatal – mitochondrial disease from a healthy mother – MRC
- BBSRC, Wellcome Trust & Cancer Research UK researchers have published images of how the DNA code is read and interpreted in greater detail than ever before, which could open up new approaches to cancer treatment – BBSRC
- BBSRC & EPSRC call of up to £10 million to fund a second phase of Networks in Industrial Biotechnology and Bioenergy (NIBB). Deadline: 24 January.
- MRC, ESRC, Wellcome Trust & DFID Health Systems Research Initiative call 5 to provide evidence to strengthen health systems in LMICs. Deadline: 30 January.
- MRC & KHIDI UK-Korea Partnering Awards, aimed at fostering links between researchers in the UK and in Korea. Deadline: 31 January.
- DEFRA & DFID funding for small grants intended to help applicants who are new to the Darwin Initiativeconduct scoping projects. Deadline: 2 February.
Reports and events
- UNHCR: Gender equality promising practices: Syrian refugees in the Middle East and North Africa
- Bond: Options for maximising UK-European civil society collaboration in a Brexit context
- IIED: From climate risk to climate resilience
- ODI: Resilience Scan: July-September 2017
- IDS Integrating Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation on 22 – 26 January in London.
- British Council & Newton Fund Localising strategies for making cities resilient to disasters on 22 – 26 January in Manilla.
- RSTMH Topics in Infection 2018 on 26 January in London.
- UKCDS Pollination and International Development Webinaron 26 January.
- Westminster Higher Education Forum The future of UK science and innovation – Brexit, the Industrial Strategy and the Knowledge Exchange Framework on 30 January in London.
- Royal Society of Chemistry GCMS Training: A Hands on Approach Kenya on 9 – 13 April 2018, Nairobi. Apply by 31 January.
Other news and interesting links
- Podcast on whether children can be made more psychologically ‘resilient’ to trauma and the stress of everyday life – Mosaic on Spotify
- The heavy lifting is done, but Sam Gyimah still has bridges to build – Times Higher Education
- Universal health coverage law approved in Egypt – The Lancet
- Food, ecosystems, equality – can we have it all? – IIED
- A new era for medical education in Colombia – The Lancet