16 February, 2018
Announcements and News
- International Development Secretary Penny Mordaunt calls for action on sexual abuse within aid sector and publishes letter to NGOs – gov.uk
- NGOs commit to principles to ensure zero tolerance of sexual exploitation – Bond
- Wellcome Trust is funding a new global study designed to gauge public attitudes to science and key health challenges – Wellcome Trust
- MRC and Kidney Research UK funded project has created functioning kidney-like tissue from stem cells – MRC
- DFID announced that UK aid partner The Halo Trust finishes decade-long operation clearing landmines in Herat province, Afghanistan – gov.uk
- Science and Technology Committee announced the Brexit Science and Innovation summit participants – parliament.uk
- DFID published the Evidence digest for January 2018 on violence against women and girls – gov.uk
- DFID Early market engagement event for new multi-disciplinary research project on African cities. Deadline: 19 Feb.
- IDRC Ensuring a food secure Africa: Cultivate Africa’s Future Fund 2. Deadline: 1 March.
- DFID International Growth Centre (Phase 3), focusing on delivering research and policy products to developing countries. Deadline: 5 March.
- STFC Food Network+ (SFN) Call for Collaborative Scoping Projects. Deadline: 6 March.
- ESRC pre-call announcement for a climate change centre and climate change network plus. Register interest here.
Reports and events
- Nature Microbiology: New antibiotic family discovered in dirt – Culture-independent discovery of the malacidins as calcium-dependent antibiotics with activity against multidrug-resistant Gram-positive pathogens
- Nature: A global map of travel time to cities to assess inequalities in accessibility in 2015
- ODI: The Jordan Compact – lessons learnt and implications for future refugee compacts
- The Lancet: Access to emergency hospital care provided by the public sector in sub-Saharan Africa
- ODI How ‘smart’ trade policy can help Africa industrialise, 22 February in London and online.
- NERC GCRF Building Resilience event. The closing date for registration is 23 February. Event held on 9 March in London.
- Royal Society Residential Communication and Media Skills in Buckinghamshire, 12 – 13 March.
- Universities UK International Higher Education Forum 2018: thriving in a shifting global environment, 14 March in Nottingham.
Other news and interesting links
- The Gates Foundation Annual Letter: The 10 Toughest Questions Bill & Melinda Get – Gates Foundation
- Single trapped atom captures EPSRC Photography Competition’s top prize – EPSRC
- “Science research loses out if the flawed career structure puts people off” – Wellcome Trust Blog
- Could the Commonwealth be a viable source of research networks should the UK fail to secure access to the EU’s research programmes post-Brexit? – Times Higher Education
- Carillion’s collapse and the future of commercial contracting for INGOs – Bond