13 April, 2018
News & Announcements
- UKRI’sGCRF team have set up the UKRI international development peer review college, aiming for 95% membership from DAC list countries – ukri.org
- UKRI has appointed nine Challenge Leaders to the Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF), directing portfolios in: Global Health, Food Systems, Conflict, Resilience, Education & Sustainable Cities – ukri.org
- ICAI’s next Chief Commissioner is currently being recruited to lead the independent scrutiny body from 2019 to 2023 – ICAI
- ESRC has launched two new Research Institute; the Centre for the Microeconomic Analysis of Public Policy and the Centre for Economic Performance – esrc.ukri.org
- DFID response to ICAI recommendations on: DFID’s approach to Building Resilience to Natural Disasters – gov.uk
- DFID Technology Strategy 2017 to 2020: technology to support effective development – gov.uk
- Penny Mordaunt gave a speech on her vision and priorities for DFID at the Wellcome Collection – BOND
- DFID & Gates Foundation Food Systems for Improved Nutrition Research Program: Request for Applications. Deadline 7 May.
- ESRC CONACYT Newton call for collaborative research: Smart Cities in Mexico. Deadline 3 May.
- Royal Society Wolfson Fellowship. Deadline 2 May.
- Royal Society Grants International Collaboration Awards. Deadline 3 May.
- Oxford Policy Management Energy and Economic Growth General Call for Applications. Deadline 30 April.
- International Association of Universities Academic Writing Residency Programme in Bellagio Center. Deadline 1 May.
Events & Reports
- ODI Being accountable to people affected by armed conflicts in London and online, 18 April.
- GLOPAN Policy brief launch: improving diets in an era of food market transformation in Rome and streamed online, 18 April.
- Institute of Development Studies The Humanitarian Border: Aid and Development as tools to prevent migration in Sussex and streamed online, 19 April.
- Chatham House Planning for Africa’s Future: Youth Perspectives from Kenya and South Africa in London, 25 April.
- Universal health coverage depends on solid data – SciDevNet
- Aid, security and Britain’s role in the world: proposals for coherent government action – ODI
- ESRC-DFID Research for Policy and Practice: Women’s Life Choices – ids.ac.uk
Other News & Interesting Links
- Making the rhetoric of equitable partnerships in research a reality – DFID Research
- NCDs and economics: the economic case for investing in non-communicable diseases – The Lancet
- Podcast: UKCDS Board Chair Prof Peter Piot reflects on ‘What makes us human?’ on BBC Radio 2 – bbc.co.uk
- Interview with Randall Packard: learning to learn from global health history – WHO
- Top spring reading recommendations from IDS researchers on a range of development themes – IDS