9 February, 2018
Announcements and News
- RCUK has signed the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA) for the responsible use of metrics – RCUK
- DFID has published its Education Policy to address the learning crisis and ensure poor and marginalised children are not left behind – gov.uk
- FCO announced new projects which bring UK space firms together to tackle global challenge – gov.uk
- Wellcome Trust has been admitted as a non-state actor in official relations with WHO – Wellcome Trust
- MRC-funded research is exploring previously discarded chemical compounds to see if any could be developed for new antibiotics – MRC
- Wellcome Trust is launching a £10m research partnership in ten cities to help policy makers and governments act to improve population health and minimise health inequality – Wellcome Trust
- NERC’s Operation Earth programme launches this month at 11 science and discovery centres across the UK – NERC
- UKCDS is recruiting for an Independent Member of the HMG Strategic Coherence of ODA-funded Research (SCOR) Board. Deadline: 2 March.
- ESRC call on understanding of the impacts of hydrometeorological hazards in South East Asia. Deadline: 21 February.
- EPSRC call for Feasibility Studies on the Future Metrology Hub. Deadline: 23 February.
- MRC & DFID African Research Leader scheme 2018 which aims to strengthen research leadership across sub-Saharan Africa. Deadline: 27 February.
- AHRC International Placement Scheme 2018 for Japan, China and the USA. Deadline: 28 February.
- Newton Fund, The Royal Society, British Academy & others – The UK Academies Fellowships, Research Mobility, and Young Investigator Awards for UK researchers in Brazil. Deadline: 28 February.
Reports and events
- World Economic Forum The Global Risks Report 2018
- The Lancet: FGM in Sierra Leone
- IDS: Gender and Intersecting Inequalities in Local Government in South Asia
- Ford Foundation: Participatory grantmaking: Has its time come?
- ODI event on the paradox of aid: lessons from Afghanistan in London and online, 12 February.
- Bond Theory of change essentials event training in London on 20 February.
- LSHTM The End of Famine? Prospects for the elimination of mass starvation by political action, in London on 1 March.
Other news and interesting links
- Women in science: the need for gender-inclusive workplace environments for science and medicine – The Lancet
- In conversation with Nobel Prize Winner Françoise Barré-Sinoussi – Mosaic
- Stigmatisation, ignorance still rife 35 years after HIV revealed as cause of AIDS – SciDevNet
- The development blogging crisis – Aidnography
- Global student mobility growth ‘to dwindle over next decade’ – Times Higher Education