5 January, 2018
Announcements and News
- New Year Honours list 2018: Our congratulations to all those who have been honoured, including academics, researchers, innovators and staff at BBSRC, EPSRC, ESRC and MRC, as well as BEIS, DFID and DEFRA – RUCK
- DH has funded and EPSRC will manage the new Future Vaccine Manufacturing Hub, which aims to prevent the global spread of new diseases – EPSRC
- ESRC has announced the establishment of the Productivity Insights Network which will assess the state of productivity research – ESRC
- BEIS has published the Areas of Research Interest, which informs those who fund and provide research about some of the most important research questions and challenges facing BEIS – gov.uk
- DFID have published details of a new £21m package of support for humanitarian crises in 2018 – gov.uk
- ESRC funding call for addressing the challenge of Antimicrobial Resistance in India, through the Newton Fund. Deadline: 9 January.
- BBSRC and NERC call in Aquaculture: Collaborative Research & Innovation. Deadline: 23 January.
- USAID Long-term Assistance and Services for Research (LASER). Deadline: 24 January.
Reports and events
- IDS: Green Power for Africa: Overcoming the Main Constraints
- The Lancet: US Children’s Health Insurance Program in jeopardy
- NERC workshop for the Wallacea Region, on understanding biodiversity & evolutionary responses to environmental change programme. 6-8 February 2018 in Makassar, Indonesia. Apply by 9 January.
- ODI Measuring the hard to measure in development, 16 January in London.
- UCL How to Build an Impactful Business Model: Solving Global Challenges through Local Entrepreneurial Action. Sessions on 3, 10 and 17 February in London.
- RSTMH Topics in Infection 2018 Conference, on 26 January in London.
Other news and interesting links
- Charity Commission introduces overseas funding declaration for UK charities – Bond
- Longer and healthier lives for all Africans by 2030: perspectives and action of WHO AFRO – The Lancet
- Pinprick test designed for Ebola now due for field trials – SciDevNet
- An enduring reminder of the importance of public health – The Lancet