13 November, 2017
Announcements and News
HMG Response to ICAI Review was published, highlighting the role that the Strategic Coordination of Research (SCOR) Board, supported by UKCDS, will play in bringing greater strategic coherence to the Government’s ODA research – gov.uk
- DFID defended claims made by The Daily Express that the costs of health tourism should be met by the international development budget – gov.uk
- BBSRC-funded study that potentially paves the way for the breeding of low-emission livestock has won an internationally respected PLOS Geneticsresearch prize – BBSCR
- The Newton Prize’s first 2 winners are an affordable portable device to monitor maternal health and a pioneering solar energy project, announces Science Minister Jo Johnson – gov.uk
- DFID has secured progress at the Development Assistance Committee (DAC) meetings in Paris to modernise international aid rules – gov.uk
- EU Joint Programme in Neurodegenerative Disease Research (JPND) launched a new database to connect neurodegenerative disease communities around the world – MRC
- CEH and NOC are now working to become independent research institutes – NERC
- Wellcome Trust Collaborative Awards in Science to promote the development of new ideas and speed the pace of discovery. Preliminary application deadline: 15 November
- BBSRC Partnering Awards with Brazil, Taiwan, China, India, Japan, US, EU Argentina, Australia, Canada and New Zealand. Deadline: 16 November
- BBSRC International Workshops to stimulate joint working in topics important to BBSRC’s strategy.Deadline: 16 November
- The Royal Society Dorothy Hodgkin Fellowship for outstanding scientists at an early stage of their research career who require a flexible working pattern due to personal circumstances. Deadline: 16 November
- NERC SHEAR Announcement of Opportunity: Catalyst grants (outline bids) Deadline: 21 November
- FCO is recruiting for an India Research Analyst. Deadline: 6 November
- Princeton University is seeking a Senior Research Specialist for the Innovations for Successful Societies (ISS) research program. Deadline: 10 November
- MRC is looking to appoint up to 12 council members for the newly formed UKRI. Deadline: 13 November.
Reports and events
- Wellcome Trust-funded report shows the extent that climate change is already damaging the health of millions – Wellcome Trust
- DEFRA report shows sales of antibiotics for use in animals in the UK have fallen to their lowest level since records began, exceeding a government target to combat the threat of antibiotic resistance (AMR) two years early – gov.uk
- Oxfam: How is evidence actually used in policy-making? A new framework from a global DFID programme
- Newton Fund UK-India Workshop on Peptides, Proteins and Metals in Disease and Therapy, in India, 6-8 November.
- DMICS The 3rd World Congress on Disaster Management, in India, 6-10 November.
- UCL Institute of Education The problem of education and development in sub-Saharan Africa, in London, 8 November.
- RedR UK Essentials of Humanitarian Practice, in London, 13-17 November.
Other news and interesting links
- Spotlight On…the new category for RIFA 2017: The International Development Award – Find out more about the five films shortlisted for this year’s special category, the International Development Award – AHRC
- Innovating through “interesting times” in global health – The Lancet
- Seven African countries show how the battle against malnutrition can be won – The Conversation
- Podcast: Transforming the world for girls, a three part series – ODI
- Offline: Dr Tedros, Robert Mugabe, and WHO – The Lancet