1 December, 2017
Announcements and News
- UKCDS has announced Dr Marta Tufet as the newly appointed Executive Director – UKCDS
- BEIS launched new Industrial Strategy, with large investments in R&D and sector deals in life sciences – gov.uk
- RCUK has published its early reflections on the FP9, which will replace Horizon2020 – RCUK
- MRC-led survey found that the number of awards for clinical academics at early career stages has doubled in the UK since 2009 – MRC
- ESRC has announced two new appointments to the UK in a Changing Europe and the Governance after Brexit programmes – ESRC
- EPSRC has awarded a £7million funding boost to the SuperSTEM Laboratory for super-powerful microscope materials research – EPSRC
- The Global Fund has announced the appointment of Peter Sands as Executive Director – The Global Fund
- Wellcome Trust New Research Enrichment awards available for grantholders and new applicants
- Met Office & Newton Fund Tropical Error Covariances for Data Assimilation in Southeast Asia. Deadline: 11th December.
- Newton Fund Mobility Grants for Brazil, Mexico, South Africa and Turkey. Deadline: 20th December.
- Newton Fund Advanced Fellowships for Brazil, Mexico, South Africa and Turkey. Deadline: 20th December.
Reports and events
- IGC: Food security and social stability in Africa – New estimation methods for data-driven climate projections in data-sparse regions
- ODI: Climate change, migration and displacement – the need for a risk-informed and coherent approach
- Eldis, linked to the ESRC-DFID Joint Fund for Poverty Alleviation Research: Key Issues Guide – Research with children and young people
- INASP: AuthorAID capacity development impact study – supporting Southern researchers to publish
- Bond Putting value for money into practice, 13 December in London.
- ODI: Non-state actors in governance systems: friend or foe? 13 December in London or online.
- IDS Faster Than You Think: The Global Energy Revolution and Developing Countries, 15 December in Brighton.
- Newton Fund, British Council & others Agroforestry Workshop on role of smallholder agroforestry systems in arid and semi-arid regions in combating climate change, 18-21 December in Kenya.
Other news and interesting links
- Ebola virus disease vaccination: assessing the safety and feasibility of a rapid response ring vaccination strategy in rural settings – The Lancet
- The new REF rules could end game-playing, but only if we let them – Times Higher Education
- Compensation off the table at COP climate talks – SciDevNet
- Parliament issues a bold call to DFID to prioritise education – Bond
- Can the Antimicrobial Resistance Benchmark blaze a new trail? – The Lancet