The NIHR Global Health Research portfolio funds applied health research in areas of unmet need for the direct and primary benefit of people in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs).
It is underpinned by 3 principles which guide development and delivery:
- meet eligibility criteria as Official Development Assistance (ODA), i.e. funded research directly and primarily benefits people in ODA-eligible countries on the DAC-list
- deliver high-quality applied health research, building on the Principles of the NIHR: Impact, Excellence, Effectiveness, Inclusion, and Collaboration
- strengthen research capability and training through equitable partnerships
Global Health Research Groups Call 5 which will meet the aims and ambitions set out in the following call specification.
- Award funding: Up to £3 million for up to 4 years
- Leadership model: Two joint leads, one UK- and one LMIC-based.
- Contractor: UK joint lead to administer funding to downstream partners
Eligibility: applications must demonstrate how they meet ODA compliance criteria and outline:
- which country or countries on the OECD DAC list of ODA-eligible countries will directly benefit
- how the application is directly and primarily relevant to the development challenges of those countries
- how the outcomes will promote the health and welfare of people in a country or countries on the OECD DAC list
Groups applications must demonstrate an equitable partnership between two Joint Lead Applicants:
- one at an eligible LMIC institution (LMIC Joint Lead)
- one at an eligible UK institution (UK Joint Lead)
Level of funding: Through this call, awards up to £3 million over a period of up to 4 years are available for NIHR Global Health Research Groups.
Additional information: Applications in any field of applied global health research for the direct and primary benefit of people living in one or more ODA-eligible country/ies will be considered. This is an open/researcher-led call. Within this, NIHR remains interested in its previously published priority areas.
- 14 November 2023: deadline for remit and REALMS registration queries
- 22 November 2023: applications close at 13:00 pm BST
22nd Nov 2023