Kan Tong Po Fellowship

These fellowships are for scientists based in the UK or US who want to stimulate collaborations with leading scientists in Hong Kong through a one-off visit.

The purpose of this scheme is to contribute at the highest level of scientific research and education at the University of Hong Kong, Chinese University of Hong Kong, the Hong Kong Polytechnic University, the City University of Hong Kong and the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, by awarding Visiting Fellowships each year to UK or USA based scientists to collaborate with a Hong Kong based academic, or for Hong Kong based scientists to collaborate with an academic based in either the UK or USA.

Eligibility: This scheme is for you if: 

  • You have a PhD or have equivalent research experience
  • You hold a fixed or permanent contract at an eligible organisation for the duration of the project (ineligible organisations include industrial, private and commercial organisations, university spin-out companies and government bodies)
  • You are based in the respective countries at the time of application. Researchers can collaborate between any UK or US university or recognised independent research organisation and the following universities in Hong Kong:
    • Chinese University of Hong Kong
    • City University of Hong Kong
    • Hong Kong Polytechnic University
    • Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
    • University of Hong Kong
  • Your research is within the Royal Society’s remit of natural sciences, which includes but is not limited to biological research and biomedical sciences, chemistry, engineering, mathematics and physics. For a full list, please see the breakdown of subject groups and areas supported by the Royal Society. 

Level of funding: Applications can apply to the Royal Society for up to £3,000 for a one-off visit of up to three months from:

  • either UK or USA to Hong Kong
  • or Hong Kong to either UK or USA

Funds can cover travel and subsistence.

Key dates

  • 05 June 2024: deadline for applications

Is this page helpful?

Go back