The British Council is inviting applications for UK-Japan research proposals under the themes of ‘transformative technologies’ and ‘tomorrow’s talent’ supported by the Department of Science, Innovation and Technology’s International Science Partnerships Fund (ISPF).
The call will fund Global Challenges Research Grants to support and facilitate research that tackles global challenges. The total funding available for this call is £480,000.
Under this call for proposals, projects should consider:
- transformative technologies: artificial intelligence, quantum, engineering biology, semi-conductors, future telecommunications
- tomorrows talent: research capacity, research systems, research pipeline.
Eligibility: Each proposal must have one principal applicant from the UK and one principal applicant from Japan:
- Both principal applicants must be leading researchers or established researchers 3.
- Principal applicants must be permanent employees. Emeritus and honorary professors may not apply as lead.
- A not-for-profit higher education institution with the capacity to undertake high-quality research.
Level of funding: Grants for projects with a full economic cost of up to £100,000 will be available for funding at 80% FEC under this ISPF research collaboration programme for bilateral research and innovation collaborations under the ISPF. Priorities set with Japan at the call design stage.
- 19 January 2024: applications close at 12:00 p.m. GMT