The Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) is running a series of international Global Engagement Meetings. The aim of these events is to showcase the opportunities available through the GCRF; to bring together developing country and UK researchers and representatives from other organisations to forge networks; and to discuss opportunities for maximising the contribution of GCRF research into policy and practice.
The next event will be held in Nairobi, Kenya from Wednesday 31st January 2018 to Friday 2nd February 2018. This event is in partnership with the Department for International Development (DFID), the African Academy of Sciences and The British Institute in East Africa.
The event has been designed to contain a mixture of plenary sessions, workshops and networking opportunities and will be interdisciplinary and interactive. Attendees will be drawn from different countries, different disciplines, and from a mix of academic and non-academic organisations (e.g. non-governmental organisations; charities; policy makers; international funders). The event will run over 2 days.
Attendance at the event will be through a competitive application process, details can be found below. Applicants must be available to attend the whole 2 days of the event and we expect applicants to have:
- A willingness to contribute and participate in workshop discussions, in particular, working to identify research needs and gaps, learning from current grant holders
- A willingness to disseminate knowledge, work in an interdisciplinary way and build partnerships
By the end of the event attendees will:
- Have increased awareness and understanding of the Global Challenges Research Fund and future calls
- Be better equipped to engage with existing GCRF research projects and work with UK partners to respond to future GCRF calls
- Have made connections with regional and UK researchers and other stakeholders for the development of potential future bids
- Have identified key development research and policy/practice priorities in the region
Attendees travel, accommodation, meals and any visa costs will be covered (based on economy class travel) for the duration of the event. Any other costs incurred will need to be covered by the attendees themselves (e.g. if intending to stay in the country longer than the event). Unfortunately we cannot cover costs for family members to attend except in exceptional circumstances.
How to apply
In order to apply for the event please fill out the form below by Thursday 2nd November.This is a competitive process and not all applications to attend will be successful. Applications will be assessed on their answers to the questions in the smart survey and chosen to ensure there is representation from a range of disciplines, organisations and countries. Applicant will be notified by mid November if they have been selected to attend.
Unfortunately we will be unable to provide feedback
Please note that the event will be in English and applications must be written in English.
Any questions should be directed to GCRFGems@rcuk.ac.uk