This collection of case studies highlights UK funded research capacity strengthening (RCS) programmes in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs) that have had significant impact and demonstrate the value of coherence between UK funders. Impacts have been made at the individual, institutional and environmental/systems level in LMICs.
This includes strengthened research skills and research management systems, research productivity, new national/international collaborations and an enabling environment for research.
Together, these case studies highlight the value of funding RCS initiatives, including success factors and the vision for their future. This is a resource for UK funders, practitioners and senior decision-makers in RCS, to highlight key examples of impact and to inspire future programmes.
The case studies include:
- DELTAS Developing Excellence in Leadership and
Training in Africa
- GROW GCRF Growing Research Capacity
- JGHT Joint Global Health Trials
- LIF Leaders in Innovation Fellowships
- Major Centres and Platforms: Medical Research
Council (MRC)-funded Africa Research Units and
Wellcome Africa and Asia programmes (AAPs)
- ReMPro Africa Research Management Programme
- SGCI Science Granting Councils Initiative